We all love when things go according to plan, especially while moving. Because relocation is a notoriously stressful process, and things can go wrong quickly, no matter how hard you try to keep your move smoothly from start to finish. Like the time your movers show up. Here’s what to do when your movers are late, either for pick-up or delivery. Follow the steps below and take the best action under these circumstances.
Are movers always late?
The answer is no. If you know how to spot red flags for moving scams, and you hired a professional moving company, they won’t let you down. And, if they’re late, then there must be a good reason for it. A lot of things can happen on the road. But, no matter the reason for your movers not showing up on time, you’ll find yourself stranded, and your belongings do not get picked up or delivered at the arranged time.
What to do when your movers are late for the pickup?
It’s Moving Day, and the moving company should have been at your home a long time ago. Here’s what to do when your movers are late for the pickup?
- Don’t panic – You don’t know why movers are late, so until you find out the reason, stay calm. Plus, your belongings are by your side. So, they’re safe and sound.
- Contact the moving company – Make sure you have their phone number at hand. But if you have lost it, you can find it in the moving contract or on their webpage.
- When you get in touch with movers, explain your situation and request specific information.
- If the company says that the craw will be late for a few hours, you can still make it all work. Use that time for cleaning your home before moving out, or something else. But, if the movers won’t come until the next day, you’ll need to make a re-arrangement of your schedule.
- If you can’t reach your movers on the phone, then go on their website and look for an alternative phone number – Such as a mobile phone number. Just keep trying to reach them.
- If you still can’t contact your movers, then wait and see how the whole story will unfold. Or look for some last-minute movers.
- Usually, last-minute movers will be able to perform a house move despite the short notice. Just fill in a quick-moving quote and they will contact you within minutes.
What to do when your movers are late for delivery?
If your movers are late for delivery follow these steps:
- Contact the head office of the company to learn the reason for the delay. Also, understand how bad that delayed delivery will be.
- If you fail to reach your moving company, then you’re probably a victim of moving fraud. In that case, contact the FMCSA, because they’ll give you the best advice on what to do next.
- If movers contact you and demand more money to deliver your belongings, call the local police first, and then FMCSA.
In the end, the most important thing to do when your movers are late is not to panic. Just remember to check the moving company first before you hire them.