Spring is time to clean and to start fresh. Winter is over and most people are decluttering houses, offices, and storage units. When it comes to a place where you are storing your items, why should you declutter your storage and how to do it properly?
There’s nothing like a quick list
After renting a storage unit, you need to take care of and organize it. How decluttering can improve your storage facility?
Here are 3 main reasons why decluttering and spring cleaning are good and why you should do it.
- Make more space for other items and organize storage, so you will find everything you need easier and faster. People are using self-storage units to clean up the house usually, but it does not mean you should just throw items away in storage. Especially items you don’t need.
- If you are a business owner (running an eCommerce business) decluttering should be your regular job on a to-do list. You will be more productive this way. If you are taking customers to the unit, make sure it is clean and decluttered.
- Getting rid of the items you don’t use can save you money. If you declutter your storage unit, you will end up having fewer items, which can lead to renting a smaller unit after. The costs of renting a storage unit depend mostly on its size. Smaller storage – cheaper rent.
How to declutter your storage unit?
The next question is how to declutter a room you are using as storage or the actual storage unit? People are often using a basement or a garage as a storage unit. In most cases, no matter where is your storage, people are just putting items there. After a while, clutter is there. Having a spring cleaning storage guide can help you do this faster and easier.
Before you start the process this year, make a plan and stick to it – it is a spring cleaning checklist that can save you time and sanity. Plan a day to declutter and start. Here are some steps that can help you.
- If your storage unit is big, and you don’t have a lot of time, ask someone to help you out – friends or professional organizers.
- Sort items you want to toss, donate, sell, and items you will keep.
- Hire a junk removal company if you have a lot of items you don’t need. It is not a problem to deal with a couple of bags, but if you have large furniture or heavy items, consider professional transportation.
- Get enough moving boxes and make your storage more organized. Also, label them. If you have more time, you can add shelves on the walls and upgrade your storage unit.
It is not impossible to declutter your storage unit
However, it takes time and energy. Plan it out and be prepared to spend your entire day or maybe a couple of days to declutter your storage. It’s depending on the size and amount of your items.